Our beautiful wood frame building has been known as a center for the worship of God and service to the Bedford-Stuyvesant community for almost 150 years. 1006 Greene Avenue has been embedded in the hearts and lives of members of B’nai Adath ever since we began worshipping there in the 1960s.
Graced by a lovely stained-glass window, the high ceiling and windows on either side of our building have filled the sanctuary with light. The sanctuary, including our women’s balcony, has seated approximately 800 people and our basement ballroom has welcomed an additional 500 people to our celebrations and events. The Torahs, protected by the Lions of Judah that flank the Ten Commandments, have resided within a hand carved ark. The yard outside the synagogue building has also accommodated gatherings and we have enjoyed many community feasts and Sukkot celebrations there.
The large size of our spiritual home has been ideal for us to hold high Holy Day services, Bar Mitzvah parties, weddings, fundraisers and community events, as well as many events when the national Hebrew Israelite community has come together to meet. We have also hosted smaller gatherings, including religious education classes for our youth and a soup kitchen for our neighbors in need in our basement.
So critical has our synagogue building been to our congregation that Rabbi Baruch Yehudah frequently tells how when he left the hospital as an infant, before he went to his parents’ house, they took him to his spiritual home, 1006 Greene Avenue, for his brit milah. He himself conducted the brit for three of his sons and many other young boys within the synagogue building. Like the Rabbi, our members feel a lifelong bond to our Congregation and to our Synagogue building.